When I created my blog my goal was to interview women that are following their dreams and help encourage others to succeed and follow their true calling. I’m very excited to share my first spotlight on women interview, which will be an ongoing monthly feature so make sure to subscribe so you can be the first to read!
Chinaza Moses is a fashion designer and an all around creative soul. She is the creator of C.Adeola, a fashion brand for the eclectic chic woman and founder of the blog Beauty Between The Lines. I’m very proud to call her one of my friends and I’m excited to share about her passion, not just for fashion but for God. I hope you enjoy my interview with her!
- Tell me a bit about your background in fashion. How did you get started? “Getting started in fashion is something that began before I was born. My mother was such a stylish woman and its something that came to her so easily. From the days of my brothers and sisters being dressed in traditional clothing in Nigeria to our thrift store days (out of necessity not trends, lol) in America. So growing up in my household I got to see a lot of women getting dressed and being fancy, Growing up I was known as the child in the family that took everyone’s toys apart mostly breaking them upon resemble, and getting dressed up everyday to stay in the house with my mother…. LOL, but little did I know that it was because I was called to clothe the world and create beauty things with my hands, so these behaviors fashioned me. Funny enough I didn’t start making full garments until I graduated from college around 22 years old, so I guess some would say that I was a late bloomer, but I believe I bloomed when I was called to. I enrolled in Fashion Design school at a community college in Houston, Texas (Houston Community College) and that is where C.Adeola began. Four years later I graduated and left for New York City to finish the remainder of my studies at The Fashion Institute of Technology in the heart of Manhattan, which I graduated from in 2013.
- What do you love most about being a fashion designer/blogger? “The thing that I LOVE most about designing and blogging are the people that I get to meet and encounter, some become lifelong friends and some just for a season, but I love the fact that I can share my testimony with other women, encourage them, and share the LOVE of Christ with so many, just based on what I love to do!”
- Every designer dreams of the day her designs will come alive and strut down a runway, last NYFW your C.Adeola ready to wear collection “The Arrival” debuted what was that experience like? “It was a feeling that I could not quite describe, if I can describe it in emojis it will be a RAINBOW and googles of the heart-eye emoji, but as far as words go I feel there is not one invented yet to accurately describe that day, LOL. For sure I was beyond happy, I got to see the vision in my head come to life in a way that before that day I could only see in my dreams, and even the way it all came together in the end was so surreal. The help and feedback that I got from it just made it all worth while.”
- I was honored to attend your SS17 NYFW show of “The Arrival”. I absolutely loved all the color, patterns and intricate details. How would you describe the “look” of your designs? “Thank you so much for attending! “The Arrival” is what I call “eclectic chic” its a mixture of my two worlds, essentially it embodies the way that I grew up, with Nigerian blood on American soil. So it’s complex in every way from patterns to silhouettes to the construction.”
- What piece of advice would you give someone who wants to break into the fashion business? “DO NOT GIVE UP, its important to follow through with the dreams in your heart, and DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF. Personally I feel that with all things in life there is going to be competition, and its not the competition that matters what matters is what you do with it. Not giving up, nor becoming envious, or jealous of others and their success will be the first step in the right direction for your achievement.”
- I understand you’re also a blogger and recently launched a youtube channel. Any tips on managing your time and keeping organized? “Funny enough the blog is what made way for the design so they both needed each other to exist. Launching my YouTube channel was something that I had been working on for years, but being pre occupied with so many other things it finally came to life at the beginning of this year. I’m so excited about it, I believe that this channel will break down walls and provide much for many! The way I stay organized is first to read my word, pray, and meditate on God’s word. I can’t stay mentally focused without it. Next I calendar things, write them down and check them off when I’m done, and honestly I’m not the best at it but the grace of God helps me through. I’m getting to the point where I need to bring on help; which is a good thing because business is picking up, LOL.”
- Whose celebrity closet would you most like to raid? “Rihanna’s of course her stylist is EPIC!”
- What is your dream designer splurge? “My dream splurge is a Quilted Chanel shoulder strap bag, in every color of the rainbow and pastels included!”
- If you were stranded on an island what 3 personal care items are a must have? (makeup etc.) “Personal Care items. 1. Bible 2. Contact lens solution 3. Raw Shea butter lol and 4. Dark Brown eyeliner to fill in my eyebrows. (this gets a “get in free card” because I don’t want to go without it , LOLLLLLLLLL)
There it is my first of many more interviews to come, my hope is that somehow Chinaza’s interview has touched your life and inspired you. Also if you would like to follow her journey you can at her Instagram @beautybetweenthelines
Would love to hear your thoughts/comments on my interview, please share below.
Till next time,