Sometimes I wish Self Love 101 was an actual class that all women were required to take. Self love is so crucial to our physical and mental well being; In the last couple of years I’ve been in a long overdue self love journey that I truly believe has saved my life. The road to this point was painful and ultimately I was a broken soul. It took an emotionally abusive relationship to bring me to my knees in prayer looking for a why. The why was inside me all along, I lacked self love. Without self love I wasn’t capable of setting boundaries and felt underserving of being treated well. It took this crash to ultimately pick me up and although I’m not done, I choose myself first above others.
Here are 5 keys to get you started on your journey of self love
- Eliminate toxic energies/people from your life – I intentionally made this first on my list, as I cannot stress this enough. Your space is scared! Guard it fiercely and eliminate anyone that brings forth negativity into it. This is probably the most difficult to achieve as sometimes you have to cut off family, old friends and your current relationship. The change in energy will shift your life in a positive direction.
- Listen to your inner voice – This one can be a life saver! Call it intuition, inner voice, gut feeling or whatever; it’s truly there for a purpose. I personally believe it’s God speaking to us and warning us to proceed with caution. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve heard this quiet voice say “hey this isn’t right” or “maybe you should go tomorrow” etc. In the past few years I’ve learned to heed caution and listen. Sometimes we have to get in a quiet place and alone to really decipher this gut feeling but please pay attention to it.
- Accept that some people just wont like you – This one is particularly hard for me and I’m still working on it. I will definitely get in my feelings trying to figure out why someone doesn’t like me without really knowing who I am. Well guess what? Remember my first tip, yeah hasta la vista baby! This is actually their own internal issue and not reflective of you at all. I no longer entertain someone if they don’t like me, I don’t have time to waste on it as life is far to short. I focus on all the good people that God has placed in my path and there are so many!
- Be kind to yourself – Stop the negative self talk, especially when you’re only repeating to yourself what you’ve heard others say to you. There are many, many haters out there and they come in all shapes and forms; they can be your own family, childhood friends, co-workers, etc. They will say negative things about you in a covert way and unless you’re really in tune you may not pick up it. Repeat affirmations to yourself daily and watch your confidence bloom and your inner beauty grow. Let’s practice, go ahead and fill this blank space: I am ______________ and say it out loud.
- Take care of yourself – It’s essential to take time to nurture yourself. Make a list of things that make you feel good and smile. Now start to go through this list and do these things for yourself. My list consists of buying myself flowers, giving my self manicures and pedicures, and taking time to read. Don’t forget taking care of yourself includes your nutrition and making Dr. appointments for annual check ups.
I also want to give a big shout out to Fred and Far, a shop that created the self love pink ring. This pinky ring is a symbolic reminder to choose yourself, honor yourself, and remember yourself on a daily basis. Its a beautiful white sapphire and I absolutely love it and what it represents. Here is a direct quote from Samira, co-creator of Fred and Far:
“Our dream is for everyone to realize the profound power in giving themselves the kind of love they would give another. When we can come from a place of wholly loving and honoring ourselves, every aspect of life adjusts and aligns with us and that is a gift.”
Its my hope that some of my self love keys help you find a happier place. I would love to hear about your self love journey or tips, please share in comment section.
Till next time,